Intro

Inspired by motivational/self-help/business book "Poke the Box" by Seth Godin, I'm going to poke. To poke is to try something new/different/challenging and see how the world responds. And in it we find that the biggest obstacle to poking and potential success, is the fear of failure. And in the spirit of overcoming my fears, I shall face failure head on. I intend to meet failure at every turn.
Thus far I have been venturing into the world of writing. Maybe someday I explore a lack of talent in something else.



Sunday, February 26, 2012

Fred Matthews, Ch. 3 part 1

I took eight days off from writing and doing anything here. I was having a hard time seeing where this was going and didn't want to jump in too quickly, and most of my time had been consumed with writing for a little while. But after a week, I feel better about this and where it is going.

I've had bits and pieces of stories that I've wanted to write and did start in fragments. Some of those elements will start to play out in this story because I think there are ideas I want to express through them. The first of the previous ideas will be introduced today, but it won't drastically change the story yet.

And outside of writing, things are good. I'm always learning and growing and this period of my life is no different.

But let's keep this thing going. A little shorter, more accessible. Anywya, failure, ahoy!

---------------------

Fred pulled his car into the parking lot of the hospital just before 9 A.M through the spring rain. The sun struggled to break through the thin layer of clouds as the morning tried to decide what kind of day it would be. Fred wondered this as well as he walked under his umbrella toward the entrance of St. Luke's. He stepped around the puddles, lost in his own thoughts. He had seen Ryan only a few days ago, but seeing him wasn't the same as when it was doctor and patient like today. Their friendship tended to ignore the unfortunate reality that Fred was Ryan's patient, but it was easier now that he only saw him once a year in this capacity.

He checked in with the receptionist and took a seat in the waiting area. Sitting with the rest of the patients was something he always found enlightening. As a Doctor, he rarely saw the reality of the waiting room. He observed the nervousness in each face and the awkward silence that filled room despite the television and the twenty-four hour news cycle. Fred didn't dare touch the magazines though, he knew better than to give into the temptation, to immerse himself in an absent minded diversion covered in every common ailment known to man.

After about ten minutes, Ryan came out to greet Fred personally. "Matthews?" Ryan called into the waiting room, pretending not to know him for the sake of the rest of those waiting for a doctor. Fred rose from his chair wordlessly and walked over to Ryan, who was holding back a smile. "How are you doing today, Dr. Matthews?"

Fred saw the restrained smile and played along with a sigh, "I'm doing well, Dr. Taylor. And yourself?"

"Quite well, thank you. Right this way," Ryan replied as he held the door open for Fred.

When the door closed behind them, Fred asked, "You love doing that don't you?"

"Doing what?" Ryan said, playing innocent as he followed Fred down the hall. "My office is the last one on the left."

"Yeah, that's what I thought. Anyway, I'll be a lot better in a few hours," Fred said as he walked into Ryan's office. He hung his coat and took a seat and watched as Ryan did the same.

"I"m sure, Fred. I will be too. What do you say we get down to business?"

"Sooner the better."

"Agreed."


No comments:

Post a Comment